One member recently contacted me to ask me why the IJN Chat is so slow. We did some extensive testing and we never encountered any latency, lag, or sluggishness in the chat. We did this by having two test accounts in different locations. One account was on a mobile device, the other on a desktop computer in the office. We both had our phones on and were talking while we were also chatting here on the site. In all cases, we could hear the chime of message receive through the phone within a fraction of a second after sending. The chat is basically instantaneous. The messages are received instantly after they are sent.
The site is hosted on a fast, reliable virtual private server. The server handles a part of the chat load (friends online list and some other repetitive tasks sent by the chat service). Additionally, messages sent and received are handled by a separate push server. The only function of the push server is to get the messages from the sender to the receiver, and it is lightning fast.
The chat here is extremely fast, actually much faster than we had anticipated. It was a very pleasant surprise. If you are experiencing what you perceive to be latency or sluggishness in the chat, the problem is on your end. There are a couple of things you can try.
- Reset your internet connection hardware, which could be a DSL modem, cable modem, wireless router, fiber interface, etc.
- Reset your wireless interface. This usually requires restarting your computer unless you have a USB device.
- Try a different web browser. While all of the major browsers work fine with the site, some are a little better/faster. I recommend Google Chrome.
- Make sure you are using the latest version of your web browser.
- Clear the cache in your web browser.
- Make sure there are no issues on your system, such as malware or a system hard disk that is nearly full.
I know many use a phone or other mobile device to access the website and for chat. As you already know, we do have mobile chat available. We do not offer any technical support for mobile chat. There are just too many mobile devices, operating systems, and browsers to offer that kind of support.
Lastly, this site is hosted in the central United States. US members should experience very fast service. Members who access the site from outside the US will have a little more latency but it should be well within acceptable parameters unless there is some issue on your end.